Once considered a Zelda: Breath of Wild rip-off, Genshin Impact has managed to put all initial criticism aside and rise to the top. It's one of the most if not the most played Gacha-style MMOs around today, and for good reason. Even as an F2P game, Genshin Impact has stunning graphics and smooth gameplay. Apart from the MMO-themed gameplay and storyline, the Gacha element adds another dimension to the game. There are many characters that players can take advantage of, and one of them is Frozen Ardor, Chongyun. The Cryo Master is an experienced swordsman who uses Cryo to his advantage. He is a 4-star character only available through the game's Wish system. Here is a brief guide on how to use Chongun effectively in the battlefield.
Chongyun is a melee character who uses heavy weapons. He is a great force in close combat and can deal decent damage to multiple enemies effectively. His AOE abilities are excellent for quickly clearing enemy camps or for speeding up the run in general. However, his base stats are mid-level and are outclassed by Diluc, who is a 5-star DPS character.
- Normal attack: Chongyun strikes four times in a row. Damage increases with each successful hit.
- Charged Attack: Chongyun spins continuously, dealing damage to anyone hit by his weapon in the process. Using Charged Attack consumes stamina, and Chogyung finishes it off with a single hit when stamina is at minimum.
- Elemental Skill: Chongyun slams the ground with his weapon to cause a Cryo blast on the targeted area. Enemies caught in the blast take damage and are affected by Cryo for a brief period.
- Elemental Blast: Chongyun summons three giant swords that fall on the targeted area one by one, creating a Cryo Blast. The explosion deals high damage and applies Cryo to anyone caught in it.
Getting multiple copies of the same character will unlock Constellation for that specific character. These are additional traits that further enhance characters and make them even stronger. Chongyun, however, is not heavily dependent on his Constellation and is viable by unlocking it completely. Here is the constellation of Chongyun.
- First Dupe-Ice Unleashed: Chongyun's last attack of his normal attack sequence unleashes three blades that inflict 50% of Chongyun's ATK as Cryo DMG to all enemies hit by it.
- Second Dupe-Atmospheric Revolution: Chongyun's Elemental Skill and Elemental Blast cooldown are reduced by 15% when Chongyun is inside the Cryo Field created by his Elemental Skill.
- Third Dupe-Cloudburst: Increases the level of his Elemental Burst by 3 levels (goes to level 15).
- Fourth Dupe-Frozen Skies: Each time Chongyun hits and the enemy is affected by Frozen or Frozen status, it regenerates 1 energy. This can be used every 2 seconds.
- Fifth Dupe-The True Path: Increases the level of his elemental skill by 3 levels (goes to level 15).
- Sixth Dupe-Rally of Four Blades: Chongyun deals 15% more damage to enemies with a lower percentage of their max HP. It also allows him to summon an additional blade.
Best build for Chongyun
Chongyun is primarily effective as a team's primary damage dealer. Artifacts and weapons that increase damage are great for Chongyun. He also benefits from gear that increases Cyro's effectiveness, which increases his damage even more.
Suggested Weapon – Wolf Tombstone
One of the best damage-inducing weapons in the game, Wolf's Gravestone is a perfect match for Chongyun. It increases basic attack damage by 20%. Each time the weapon hits an enemy with less than 30% health remaining, it further increases all crew damage by 40% for 12s.
- 1st Slot - Gladiator's Finale 4 Set: If the artifact user is a sword wielder, Claymore or Polearm increases normal attack damage by 35%.
- 2nd Slot – Martial Artist Set 4: Increases normal attack and charged attack damage by 15%. Using a normal attack increases damage by 25% for 8 seconds.
- 3rd slot – Sojourner set 4 resolution: Increases base attack by 18% and charged attack crit rate by 30%.
When a character reaches their maximum possible level, they must be leveled up in order to progress further. There are 6 Ascension stages for each character in Genshin Impact, and each stage requires different materials. Here are the materials required for each stage of the Chongyun Ascension.
- Ascension Level 1 (max level 20): Shivada Jade Crystal x1 + Cor Lapis x3 + Damaged Mask x3
- Ascension Level 2 (max level 40): Shivada Jade Crystal x3 + Frost Core x2 + Cor Lapis x10 + Damaged Mask x15
- Ascension Level 3 (max level 50): Shivada Jade Crystal x6 + Frost Core x4 + Cor Lapis x20 + Damaged Mask x12
- Ascension Level 4 (max level 60): Shivada Jade Chunk x3 + Frost Core x8 + Cor Lapis x30 + Damaged Mask x18
- Ascension Level 5 (max level 70): Shivada Jade Chunk x6 + Frost Core x12 + Cor Lapis x45 + Disturbing Mask x16
- Ascension level 6 (max level 80): Shivada Jade Gemstone x6 + Frost Core x20 + Lapis Cor x6 + Ominous Mask x24
Best team for Chongyun
Team building in Genshin Impact is very subjective and there is no set way to approach it. However, some characters combine very well when used in a party. Since Chongyun is usually played as a primary damage dealer, he needs a dedicated healer, and Barbara is perfectly suited for the role. Not only does she provide constant healing, but she's also a Hydro user, which is great for freezing enemies.
Fischl is another strong candidate who can be paired with Chongyun. She is a ranged Electro user, which means she can combine with Chongyun's Cyro abilities to trigger the Semiconductor effect (increases damage).
You can either stack another Cryo user like Kaeya to further increase the damage or use a traditional tank like Noelle which will add more balance to the team.