In Pokémon Go, Mew is obtained by completing the “A Mythical Discovery” Special Research. This search can be tedious to complete and has many complicated steps before you have the chance to catch the adorable mythical pink cat. Our guide contains all the steps to follow to make the research tasks go as smoothly as possible.
Mew is Pokédex entry number 151 and made its debut in Pokémon Red and Green, where it quickly became a fan favorite in Generation One with its lovable anime appearances. In Pokémon Go, Mew was introduced in March 2018 as part of the very first Special Research Task added to the game. There are eight different tasks you must complete to have a chance of catching Mew, and some of them they require traveling great distances or acquiring 400 Magikarp Candies!
Follow our instructions carefully, and once you've caught the cutest of all mythical Pokémon, take a look at our brilliant Pokémon Go Ditto and Pokémon Go guides to expand your Pokédex even further. Everyone wants free stuff, so be sure to check out our Pokémon Go promo codes too!
POKEMON GO MEW - EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW:
A LEGENDARY DISCOVERY:
If you want to get your hands on the extremely rare and adorable Mew, follow the instructions below to complete the Special Research and receive an AR encounter with the sneaky pink cat:
A mythical discovery (1/8)
- Spin five Pokéstops – receive 500 XP
- Catch ten Pokemon – receive 500 XP
- Transfer five Pokemon – receive 500 XP
At the end of the first stage, you will receive ten large balls, an incubator and three decoy modules.
A mythical discovery (2/8)
- Earn two candies while walking with your buddy – receive 1000 XP
- Land ten great throws – receive 1000 XP
- Hatch three eggs – receive 1000 XP
At the end of the second stage, you will receive 2000 Stardust, three Incense and 20 Great Balls.
A mythical discovery (3/8)
- Reach level 15 and receive 1500 XP
- Fight in two raids – receive 1500 XP
- Fight twice in a gym – receive 1500 XP
At the end of the third stage, you will receive a Fast TM, a Charge TM and two Star Pieces.
A mythical discovery (4/8)
- Earn the Kanto Silver Medal – receive 2000 XP
- Evolve 20 Pokémon – receive 2000 XP
- Earn five candies while walking with your buddy – 2000 XP
At the end of the fourth stage, you will receive 4000 Stardust, three Lure Mods and 20 Large Balls.
A mythical discovery (5/8)
- Catch Ditto – receive 2500 xp (Check out our Pokémon Go Ditto guide for help!)
- Catch ten ghost-type Pokemon – 2500 XP
- Make 20 great throws – 2500 xp
At the end of stage five, you will receive a premium raid pass, a lucky egg and 15 revives.
A mythical discovery (6/8)
- Reach level 25 – receive 3000 XP
- Evolve a Magikarp – receive 3000 XP
- Fight in ten raids – receive 3000 XP
At the end of the sixth stage, you will receive 6000 Stardust, five Rare Candy and three Incense
A mythical discovery (7/8)
- Catch 50 Pokemon using Berries – receive 3500 XP
- Earn the Kanto Gold Medal – receive 3500 XP
- Make a great curveball throw – receive 3500 XP
At the end of the seventh stage, you will receive 8000 Stardust, five Great Balls and the legendary encounter Mew!
A mythical discovery (8/8)
- Catch Mew! – receive 4000 xp, 10000 Stardust, a Super Incubator and 20 Mew candies
When you encounter Mew, you can only use AR capture mode. Mew will drift across the screen and appear in and out of invisibility, luckily you have unlimited Pokéballs so you're guaranteed to catch him in the end!
MEW IN BATTLE:
The Mythical Pink Cat is a Psychic-type Pokémon. Mew is vulnerable to bugs, darkness, and ghosts, and resistant to fighting and Psychic-type Pokemon. The highest CP available for Mew is 3265 and its stats are boosted in windy weather.
Once you've caught Mew, you'll want to make sure he has the best move set for how you want to use him. Unfortunately, in Pokémon Go, Mew has pretty low stats compared to other Psychic-type Pokémon, but its low stats are offset by its large move pool.
Best Offensive Move:
- Snarl – dark type move
- Psychic – psychic-type move
Best Defensive Move Set:
- Volt Switch – Electric-type move
- Solar Beam – grass type move
That's all you need to know about Pokémon Go Mew! If you're looking for something new to play, check out our list of the best location-based games on mobile.