Different Pokemon have varying rarity levels, with some being very easy to find and some being locked behind events or holidays. Whatever critters someone can hunt for (or travel many miles for), they can be found with a little planning.
Rare Pokemon Go
There are so many Pokémon in the semi-real augmented reality world of Pokémon Go. Some can be found all over the world by just about anyone at any time. Here are the hardest to find.
Special circumstances only
These Pokémon can only be found through special means. This could be in Raids (which have lots of exclusive options for capturing highly sought-after Pokémon) or in specific regions. There are even Pokémon that can only be earned through evolving items and hatching eggs.
- These Pokémon can primarily be found in Raids, but there are lunchtime events and Field Research prizes that can also net these fighting friends.
- Generation 1: Articuno, Moltres, Zapdos, Mewtwo,
- Generation 2: Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-oh
- Generation 3: Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Latias, Latios, Deoxys
- Generation 4: Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Dialga, Palkia, Heatran, Giratina, Cresselia, Darkrai
- Generation 5: Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, Tornadus, Thundurus, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Landorus, Genesect
- Cleffa, Elekid, Igglybuff, Magby, Pichu, Smoochum, Togepi, Tyrogue
Evolution of special items
- Bellossom, Kingdra, Politoed, Porygon2, Scizor, Slowdown, Steelix, Sunflora
- Farfetch «d, Kangaskhan, M. Mime, Tauros, Corsola, Heracross
Related: How to Get Sun Stones in Pokemon Go
Rare and very rare
These Pokémon are quite difficult to find in the wild. You might notice that one or two on this list are very common in your area, but that's probably because you live in a hotspot that attracts them. For example, if you live right next to a lake, you'll likely have an abnormal Squirtle spawn rate.
- Dratini, Growlithe, Geodude, Onix, Ponyta, Vulpix, Koffing, Sandshrew, Magmar, Abra, Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Pikachu, Electrabuzz, Machop, Grimer, Rhyhorn, Voltorb, Lickitung, Scyther, Pinsir, Tangela, Omanyte, Stantler, Lapras, Snorlax, Porygon, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Chansey, Aerodactyl
- Slugma, Mantine, Sudowoodo, Pineco, Gilgar, Shuckle, Phanpy, Skarmory, Qwilfish, Yanma, Chikorita, Cyndaquill, Totodile, Misdreavus, Houndor, Larvitar, Miltank, Mareep, Togetic, Hitmontop, Unown
Want to learn more about Pokémon Go? Check out the best ground-type Pokemon in Pokemon Go on Pro Game Guides.